Select a Bone Atlas to view
To search by bone, click here
click on the name below (not the silhouette)
This site provides images of animal anatomy focusing on species commonly found in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The purpose of this project is to provide educational materials (photographs, descriptions, etc.) to search and rescue volunteers, law enforcement, park rangers, etc. to help searchers recognize human from non-human skeletal remains. Each page includes a non-human bone with its corresponding human bone for comparison.
I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to those who have helped to make this project become a reality. Click here.
No animals have been killed to get the bones for this project. All wild animals died of natural causes, were salvaged as road kill, were stranded and died, or may be due to legal hunting by others. This collection is maintained by Jim Russell of the Search and Rescue Tracking Institute who is associated with the following permits and authorizations:
- Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries permit #064061
- Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Virginia State Parks, Research and Collecting Permit #ZZ-RCP-010819
- NOAA’s NMFS Regional Authorization Letter
- US Fish and Wildlife Service permit #MB25289D-0
- Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge General Activities Special Use Permit #BBNWR-COL-1
All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce the content of RussellBoneAtlas.wordpress.com or portions thereof in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including copying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from Jim Russell. All inquiries should be addressed to Jim Russell at email@example.com
All photographs by Jim Russell